Kimchi Gyoza [Not So Korean]

Kimchi Gyoza

Japanese called this type of pan-fried dumpling as gyoza, I am so used to this name now. If I say dumpling, T would ask lot of questions such as what sort of dumpling, what style and so forth. For easy referencing between T and I, I am going to stick to this name.

Actually this gyoza is quite different from Korean Kimchi Mandu in term of filling and the way of cooking. It is more like the combination of three cultures, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Pan-fried dumpling is a Chinese dish, but I cooked it Japanese way and with Korean Kimchi. Waiting for my new batch of homemade kimchi to be ready, will try Kimchi Mandu for sure.

Kimchi Gyoza

Ingredients (makes 12 pcs):
12 pcs Dumpling Wrapper

Filling;
100gm minced pork
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp oyster sauce
¼ tsp garlic powder or finely chopped garlic
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp mirin (optional)
¼ tsp salt or to taste
¼ tsp ground white pepper
½ tbsp corn flour
½ cup finely chopped kimchi

Methods:

  1. Filling: Bring together all ingredients except kimchi in a medium mixing bowl, mix well and marinate for 10-15 minutes.
  2. Squeeze out all liquid in kimchi and chop finely, add in (1) and mix well.
  3. Assemble: Place one tablespoonful of filling in the middle of each wrapper. Wet the edges of the dumpling with water in necessary. Fold the wrapper over the filling into a half moon shape and pinch the edges to seal.
  4. Cook: Heat oil in a medium size non-stick frying pan, arrange dumplings in the pan. Pour in hot water and cover the pan immediately. Dumplings will be cooked by hot steam. Listen to the sizzling sound, once the sizzling sound goes off remove the cover. Let it cook further for 1-2 minutes. Flip dumplings over, pan-fry the other side until lightly browned.
  5. Serve warm with dumpling vinegar and finely shredded ginger.

Kimchi Gyoza

Comments

  1. looks good and the kimchi filling, I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE kimchi and especially in dumplings. I don't eat meat, but fortunately I've found some frozen ones using imitation meat or, even better, I can adapt this recipe to make a vegetarian version. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look just lovely, Restaurant standard for sure! I thought It was a photo from somewhere you dined. Kimchi is soo good. thanks for the post...and yes safer to stick with Gyoza to avoid any confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks good.. what kinda of dumpling wrapper did u use??

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at Gyoza! This has to be my absolute favourite indulgence. I love making them. I make my own wrappers so it takes me a while to make them. Gorgeous post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been intimidated by gyoza.... I am so afraid that I will make a mess out of the folds in the wrapping! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)