Braised tofu in tomato sauce, another simple tofu dish I cooked for my boys. All vegetables in this dish are my elder boy's favourite. He refused to try at first thought that it was a spicy dish judging form its colour. Could that also be categorized as "hot stove effect"?
2 tubes egg tofu aka Japanese tofu
Corn flour for coating tofu
Handful sweet peas
Handful baby corns
Handful sliced carrot
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Oil for pan-fry
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
½ cup water
Salt to taste
- Bring some water to a boil, add pinch of salt and poach all vegetable. Drain.
- Cut each tube of tofu into desired size then coat with corn flour.
- Heat a wok/frying pan, add some oil then pan-fry tofu with medium heat till brown slightly on both sides. Transfer tofu into a plate and drain all oil in wok.
- Use the same wok, add in garlic and all ingredients for sauce. Bring to a boil, then return tofu into wok.
- Cook till sauce is reduced a little, add in poached vegetable. Stir gently not to break the tofu.
- Transfer to serving plate, serve warm with steamed rice.