Ketchup Braised Tofu / 茄汁焖豆腐 / ケチャップ豆腐

Braised Tofu in Tomato Sauce

Braised tofu in the ketchup-base sauce, another simple tofu dish I cooked for my boys yesterday. All vegetables in this dish are my elder boy's favourite but he refused to try at first thought that it was something spicy judging by its colour. Could that also be categorized as "hot stove effect"?

We are not vegetarians but I cook this often to cut down the meat intake. You may substitute the egg tofu with any regular non-egg tofu if preferred, and the oyster sauce with vegetarian oyster sauce, to make it a vegetarian or vegan friendly dish.

Braised Tofu in Tomato Sauce

Ketchup Braised Tofu
茄汁焖豆腐 / ケチャップ豆腐

Ingredients:
2 tubes egg tofu aka Japanese tofu
Corn flour for coating tofu
Handful sweet peas
Handful baby corns
Handful sliced carrot
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Oil for pan-fry

Sauce:
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
½ cup water
Salt to taste

Methods:
  1. Bring some water to a boil, add pinch of salt and poach all the vegetable. Drain.
  2. Cut each tube of the tofu into desired size then coat with the corn flour.
  3. Heat a wok/frying pan, add in some oil then pan-fry the tofu with medium heat until browned slightly on both sides. Transfer the tofu to a plate, set aside.
  4. Drain the excess oil in wok, if necessary, stir in the garlic and all the ingredients for sauce. Bring to a boil, then return the tofu into the wok.
  5. Cook until the sauce is reduced, then add in the poached vegetable. Stir gently not to break the tofu.
  6. Transfer to a serving plate, serve warm.

Comments

  1. I thought it was a spicy dish at first too! Love the additions of corn and peas, now I know what else to add for my tofu dish :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I definitely need to try making tofu like this -thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought it was spicy too! Guess it was the tomato that gave the red look to it? It looks so good! This is what I call comfort food. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not easy to fry egg tofu so perfectly and you have done so :)

    I enjoy tomato-based sauce and gravy. This is definitely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Japanese tofu - it's silky and smooth, especially when it's cooked ala clay pot. I never tried adding tomatoes, though so I'm gonna give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)