I am trying to include more legumes in our daily diet, and feed my boys with more vegetable without them knowing it. If you have any simple baking recipes with legume, do share with me.
I used canned green peas for this cake its texture was great - soft and moist, but taste wise was a bit bland. For my next green peas chiffon, I will definitely use green pea powder or ground green pea made with roasted/toasted peas.
Ingredients (makes 8-inch tube pan):
130g canned green peas, remove hulls (with liquid is 230g in a small can, drain)
40g melted butter
4 egg yolks
60g all-purpose flour, sift together with corn flour
10g corn flour
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven 175˚C.
- Mash green peas, mix together with other ingredients (A) till well blended.
- Add in (B) and mix until well combined.
- Fold in (C) and mix gently until just combined.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, add cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks. Then add sugar in batches and beat till stiff peaks.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into green pea mixture, gently mix with a whisk or rubber spatula until just blended.
- Pour green pea mixture into the rest of egg whites, fold it gently with rubber spatula.
- Transfer batter into a 8-inch chiffon cake pan, bang the pan on a hard surface to release air bubbles and bake for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Invert cake immediately after bake, cool completely on rack. Remove cake from the cake pan using a rubber spatula or press method.