When preparing obento, main dish is always decided within seconds but not side dish. Hence, I wrote down few fast and easy side dish recipes to help me in menu planning on bento making days. The list comes in handy when I was told to submit few vegetarian recipes to be included in next issue of Y3K Recipes.
I am a big fan of Enoki mushroom always keep a pack or two in the refrigerator even though the nearest supermarket is just 2 minutes away. I love the natural sweetness of this little mushroom as well as its texture. Of course, this dish is not limited for obento but can be served as side with any main or as filling for pie and puff. I will post another vegetarian recipe soon using this dish as filling. Stay tuned.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 1 pack fresh Enoki mushroom
- 1 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tsp toasted sesame, grind
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Boiled edamame (枝豆) (optional)
- Discard root of enoki mushroom, cut the remaining into halves.
- Heat wok or non-stick pan, add in mayonnaise and enoki mushroom. Cook on medium heat for about 10 seconds.
- Add in ground sesame, salt and pepper to taste, stir to mix.
- Turn the heat off and transfer mushroom onto serving plate.
- Garnish with edamame and serve warm.
Japanese mayonnaise contains egg.
Here are some obento I prepared last year, just to share some obento ideas. More available on Facebook My Kitchen page, come and join us!