Caramel Popcorn [Pop! Pop! Pop!]

PopCorn

Thought of making popcorn long time ago and it finally realised today. When the corn kernels were about to pop, John got a chair near the stove checking out what was cooking. He was amazed watching the corn kernels popping and slowly filled the pot. While I was shooting these photos, John kept telling little brother "di di, pop... pop... pop..." excitedly. Too bad that his little brother is still too young to give him a response.


This is an easy and healthy snack to make at home with children. Corn kernels took less than 5 minutes to pop and another 2-3 minutes for making caramel coating, so easy to make popcorn from scratch! I think I would not go for the microwave type popcorn anymore.

PopCorn

Ingredients (2 servings):
50g Corn Kernels
1tbsp Vegetable Oil (I use sunflower oil)
Pinch of salt

Caramel Coating:
50g Castor Sugar
15g Butter

**Prepare more caramel if prefer very sweet popcorn.

Methods:

  1. For making popcorn, heat oil in a pan (I prefer pan with glass lid) on medium heat.
  2. Add in kernels with a pinch of salt, put the lid on then swirl the pan a bit to make sure all kernels are coated with oil and spread out in an even layer.
  3. Remove from heat for 30 seconds then return to stove. This will help the heat to distribute evenly and kernels will pop almost at the same time.
  4. Once the popping sound has ceased, remove from heat immediately and transfer popcorn into a large mixing bowl.
  5. In a saucepan, cook sugar with butter until all sugar is dissolved.
  6. Drizzle caramel over popcorn and use a spatula to stir the popcorn rapidly to coat.

PopCorn

Comments

  1. I used to make popcorn like that :-) You really brought some memories of my childhood :-) I like when you make your own, so you can control the amount of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a packet of popcorn kernels sitting in the store cupboard for ages with a view to making this.

    It's been a busy year to date & not got around to it yet. Thanks for the recipe & the inspiration to get popping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm such a sucker for caramel corn! this looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had some the other day. I usually cook the butter with brown sugar. Sometimes put in syrup too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really want to popping the corn before..I have no idea at all..thanks for sharing this recipe..hope one day I will pop up my own rather than purchase at outsite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juliana,
    I am new to it and loving it now. So easy to make popcorn at home.

    Debs,
    It's time to get them popped!

    Joy the Baker,
    Guess you should increase the amount of caramel. :D

    Lian,
    Brown sugar sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

    Sally,
    I strongly recommend you to try this, especially if you have kids at home. So much fun... now my boy gets very excited when I mentioned popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so quick and easy! The recipe I have of my mom's has baking soda in it, and is missing some steps. This sounds way easier! I'm going to have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    HELP....lolz....nice to meet you.....i tried twice but my corn wasnt popping at all....it was burnt.....do u know what's properly wrong ? Would it be my pot ??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jaymie,

    Burnt - pot too hot
    Not popping - were they coated with oil? Was the pot with lid on?

    I think (most likely) the heat was too high, and the corn kernels were burnt before they have chance to pop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lydia,

    I'm writing to thank you for sharing this, I made it with great success. :)

    http://jottingsoflife.blogspot.com/2010/09/easy-caramel-popcorn.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caramel popcorns are the cutest thing! I like the flavor and the crisp! So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    This is very good Blog and I appreciate you for your experience sharing.You know more about the Caramel Popcorn visit at Caramel Popcorn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)