One of the dishes I cooked at my mom's place during Chinese New Year, rated 5 thumbs-up out of 6. One of my brothers does not like petai that much so I managed to get only 5 thumbs-up. Recipe campak-campak (means throw) - used what was available.
Ingredients (4 servings):
4-5 cups steamed rice
1 cup petai (adjust the amount to your taste)
1 cup chopped snake beans
1 small carrot, chopped
½ cup anchovies, rinsed and fried
3 tbsp chili paste
½ tbsp sugar
2-3 bulbs shallot, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp toasted belacan, grinded
2-3 tbsp cooking oil
Salt to taste
- Heat cooking oil in wok over medium heat, stir-fry chopped onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Stir in sugar and chilli paste, cook until the oil is separated from the chilli.
- Stir in petai and cook for 1-2 minutes, follow by snake bean and carrot. Then, add salt to taste.
- Stir in rice and belacan, mix well and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Dish out, sprinkle fried anchovies over the top. Serve warm.