Durian Layered Cake / 榴莲千层蛋糕 / Kek Lapis Durian

Durian Layered Cake

This is my first attempt at baking layered cake, it was not difficult but time consuming. If there is another attempt at layered cake, I would make each layer thinner, means longer baking time.

I thought it was my last durian recipe to conclude series of durian experiments in this season but T bought few durians yesterday... what should I do with it next?

If you have tons of durian, check out my other durian recipes too!

Ingredients (8" x 8"):
400g Butter
150g Sugar
10 Egg Yolks
1 tsp Durian Essence
1 cup Durian Puree (+/-)
60ml Milk
200g All-Purpose Flour
50g Corn Flour

7 Egg Whites
150g Sugar

Methods:
  1. Grease and line the bottom of a 8" x 8" baking pan. Preheat oven to 200degC (upper heat only).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Add in egg yolks and continue to cream until smooth and fluffy.
  3. Add in durian essence, puree and milk, and stir until well blended. Sift and fold in flours until well combined.
  4. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy then add in sugar gradually while beating. Continue to beat until stiff. Stir it into the batter and mix until well combined.
  5. Spoon about 100g of the batter into the baking pan and spread it evenly. Place it in the middle of the oven and bake until golden brown.
  6. Remove it from the oven, use a fork to prick some holes on the cake. Then spoon another 100g of the batter onto the baked layer and spread evenly. Bake until golden brown. Repeat this step until all of the batter is used up.
  7. Remove the cake from oven, invert and cool on rack.

Note: I scaled down this recipe to 8 yolks ( I had only 8 eggs left) so my cake was thinner than it should be.


(updated on 16 Sept 2008)


Comments

  1. No wonder layered cake always sell at quite a high price, coz it really time consuming hor?
    But, I love it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed layered cake. I might give it a go if u hav the recipe here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia

    So beautiful yr Kek Lapis and Thumbs up...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Durian...... Your cake looks great! but as long as I don't smell it haha >_<

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi lydia.. Im really interested in this layered cake.. You really snap the pic in such a way I wanna bite it!!! haha..
    would you mind posting the recipe? or can u mail me at wykhoo520@yahoo.com ?
    thanks alot..
    weng

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hungry now :P ... your cake looks delish...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Gosh.. I am so tempted to eat now..

    BTW, u hv a great cooking blog. Great Job Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanne:
    Ya lor... need to bake layer by layer, other cakes just need to put in to oven n oven does the job.

    jt:
    I have updated the recipe, time to buy some durian.

    mamaella & ffichiban:
    Thanks for your compliments! Both of you are so sweet, should have kept 2 slices for you guys. :p

    weng:
    Recipe updated, try it before durian season is over.

    tigerfish:
    Plenty of durian in sg... time to have a fest!

    elsye & my lil' monster:
    Please help yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love layered cake.. will try to attempt this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks lydia. i wanna try it out. but i have some questions for you..
    1) u said bake the lapis? means use normal grill mode? or use the oven with temperature? co normal kek lapis uses grill mode.

    2) the sugar in ur recipe has been cut down? coz i don't have sweet tooth.

    thanks for answering my questions lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. weng,

    Sorry, forgot to mention to use upper heat (grill). I will update my post.

    As for the amount of sugar, all people (my hb and his colleagues, my mom and siblings) tasted the cake were ok with the sweetness but I find it a bit too sweet for my tastebuds. Cakes are always too sweet for me. :D

    One suggestion, try to use timer for the baking time to produce same colour surfaces.

    Happy baking!

    cheers,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay. Upper heat means grill? but how come u mentioned it is 200 degrees? Wat does it mean? I have not used grill mode before to bake. sorry for many questions. Haha.. I don't like sweet stuff too.. but i think i will only cut down like 20 grams, say.
    Oh, Lydia.. Btw, I come from Ipoh. We belong to the same kampung, Almost i mean. Hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  13. weng,
    My oven has options for upper heat / lower heat / both, as well as temperature setting. I used upper heat and set the temp to 200degC. Should I use "bake" or "grill"? Bake cake? Grill cake? ... pengsan liao... lol

    We went to Ipoh 4 times this week!! Busy week for us. Btw, there are a few baking supplies shops in Ipoh, any good one you would recommnend?

    ReplyDelete
  14. okay. I will try to explore my oven also. Cause I dont know how to use grill mode and I have bought my oven for four years!! Haha..
    Ermm.. You know Wah Seng? It is a large shop with plenty of ingredients. There is one branch near Kinta market. Another one is in town.
    INTRICO is another good one in Ipoh Garden. If you have any problem, do tell me k? I will let you know the address.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this recipe that calls for 19 egg yolks! crazy... I think I'll try yours next time - except for the durian flavours. I think I'll stick to the spekkoek flavour :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. weng, thanks for the info. I heard about ws but never been there. went to yummy before, not many items there.

    dhi, more egg yolks produce softer cake i guess. i have reduced the no. of yolks, more yolks = more cholestrol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum!!! Have been looking for a Durian Kueh Lapis since I tasted one from Indon. Sure brings back memories.

    Will give it a shot.

    Thanks and happy baking

    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lydia,
    Can I ask you when you say prick the cake with a fork, do I prick it all the way through all the layers or just that layer on top?
    I have previously use the pressing method but I didn't like it as the cake tend to be too dense....Planning to try your method. Pls advise
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just prick the top layer, so that the "new" layer will be attached to the layer below nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)