This recipe is adapted from steamed yam cake, yam is substituted with pumpkin and served with condiment, deep-fried shredded scallop, at the side. To make it different, I added hard boiled eggs in the cake. Beautiful pattern revealed itself once it is sliced. My initial plan was to use quail eggs but too lazy to shop for it.
Ingredients (6 servings):
170g fine rice flour
40g tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground white pepper
¼ tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
½ tsp chicken or fish stock (powder)
300g pumpkin, peeled and diced
50g dried shrimp, soaked and chopped coarsely
5 nos. shallots, sliced thinly
2 tbsp cooking oil
Soup celery for garnish
- 6 dried scallops, soaked and shredded
- 1 tsbp cooking oil
- Fried shallot*
- In a large bowl, prepare batter and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok, stir in pumpkin and stir fry until lightly browned. Remove yam from wok and set aside.
- Stir in shallot to the the same wok, fry until golden brown. Remove from shallot from wok and set aside.
- Stir in dried shrimp and fry until the aroma is released. Pour the batter in the wok, stir in pumpkin and half amount of fried shallot (*remaining fried shallot for condiment). Stir until the batter is thickened.
- Transfer batter into a lightly greased mini loaf pan, steam for 30-40 minutes on medium heat. Cool completely in the pan.
- Meanwhile, prepare condiment. Place soaked scallop in a plastic bag and pound with a pastle to loosen it. Heat oil in wok, fry scallop until golden brown. Remove from wok and mix together with fried shallot*.
- Slice the steamed cake and garnish and serve in room temperature with deep-fried scallop.